RE: Single Sourcing: Word to Training PPT and Online Help

Subject: RE: Single Sourcing: Word to Training PPT and Online Help
From: Wolfgang Schapat <wolfgang -dot- schapat -at- t-online -dot- de>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:30:51 +0100

Hello from Gernany,

I've done this task in the past by the help of "Mindjets MindManger".
Import the original "well defined" (important)
word content into MindManager. This will
reconstruct a mindmap with all content text and pictures.

First step:
If necessary, rearrange the topics and delete
content you do not need in the training material.
Before deleting content save the rearranged mindmap in an other file.
Second step:
Then export the mindmap from MindManager directly
into PPT (you need a template for PPT which meets
your company requirement) to avoid additional formatting the slides.
Third step:
Use the additional saved file and export the
whole content into html-based files. MindMap has
a lot of html templates you can use and adapt to
your needs. Run index.htm in your browser and see the result.
Finished.

The main topic is: you need a well formed
word-file, the template for PPT and MindJet.
MindJet you can download from Mindjets web-site
free of charge 21-day try-and-buy version without limitations.

At 18:51 18.02.2010, you wrote:
>Well, let's start the ball rolling: )
>
>Seems to me OP, with this subject line, begs the question that a
>training presentation **should** be single-sourced from Word to
>PowerPoint. Setting aside for the moment the thought that this may only
>be feasible in a very loose sense, I suspect this could be the fast
>track to "Death by PowerPoint."
>
>A presentation and a manual, as we all know, are two very different
>beasts, and each should be designed with that reality in mind. In the
>best case, Michael's audience will NOT get the manual reproduced in a
>truckload of slides that are interminable, hard to read, or both.
>Rather, the trainer will extract several of the most salient points from
>the manual for a few slides and develop those points in the course of
>his or her presentation, with PowerPoint as a springboard -- not a
>substitute -- for an effectively planned and delivered teaching
>opportunity.
>
>That said, if the Word document is well designed and formatted (yes, I
>know, big IF) perhaps the major points are just waiting to be seen from
>a click of the Document Map button. Next step, with or without that
>running start, is to create a basic outline of the major points in Word,
>going down no more than two or three levels. Then choose Word's Send to
>PowerPoint option, apply a template, and just maybe you've got a
>framework into which you can craft the meat of the presentation.
>
>Sorry for the bit of soapbox there, but I suspect most of us have at
>least one bored-to-oblivion experience from PowerPoint being misused.
>Try googling for "Death by PowerPoint" and you'll soon be in the right
>neighborhood for some curative resources. One good place to start, IMO,
>is the white paper available here: http://www.tellnshow.com/.
>
>Jim

With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Wolfgang Schapat
Technical Writer and Lecturer (Measuring Techniques, Hard- and Software)
Member of the tekom e.V. society board RG-Nuremberg

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com