RE: my bad displays habit

Subject: RE: my bad displays habit
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 22:11:17 -0700

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> I'm currently in my first consumer-product gig in a verrry long time.
> The model
> here is:
>
> Startup dialog opens on power-up.
> First instruction appears on the display.
> When user makes a selection the second dialog opens.
> Second instruction appears on the display.
> Etc., etc., etc.
> We write the instructions and create the graphics and anumations that
> the system
> displays. No printed or CD manual other than a brief startup guide
> that walks
> the customer through the steps needed to get the unit out of the box
> and plugged
> in.
>
> The behind-the-scenes documentation required to produce this
apparently
> minimalist customer instruction in over 20 languages is a bigger job
> than any
> user manual I've ever written.

Excellent bang waka applause akaw

That's a wizard-like interface and a self-documenting one (as wizards
should be).

I don't do consumer-level products. But I've more than once pointed out
that if the GUI were more self-explanatory, users wouldn't have to refer
to a help page to understand what they're looking at and what to do
next. Of course, I offer recommendations for making that happen. Often,
they're even implemented. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.