RE: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: RE: Profanity in the workplace
From: Heather Anderson <Heather -dot- Anderson -at- cubrc -dot- org>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:29:16 -0500

Agreed with this 100%. I've been lucky with this job that it's a more casual environment and some of the engineers curse out word and Microsoft on a regular basis, so cursing isn't frowned upon.

I've also been in environments where you didn't say much at all, because the big bosses were always watching and you didn't know if your casual language might be a mis-step in their direction.

Though my favorite is still when I was working late in the legal department of the company I was at a few years back - out of the office of the most senior, most strict, most businesslike lawyer the company had, came a string of curses that would have made a sailor blush. He walked out of his office, saw me in my cube, looked around, looked back at me; and then just started laughing.

I never looked at the man the same way again.

~ Heather