RE: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: RE: Profanity in the workplace
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Kat Kuvinka" <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:31:25 -0800

You may want to check out the following:
http://www.fcc.gov/owd/understanding-harassment.html.

Apart from that, I differentiate between vulgarity and blasphemy. I read
a study a while back that indicated that men sometimes use vulgarity as
a means of bonding. The use of vulgarity may imply intimacy and trust.
But even this is problematic as it seems to me that what may create
intimacy for some would create a hostile work environment for others. In
short, I think vulgarity, if used at all, should be used very
judiciously (one on one and definitely not in a group). In contrast, I
cannot see that there is ever a place for blasphemy (against any creed)
even if it is used in attempt to create intimacy or make managers feel
all grown up. "GD" is a deal killer for me.

Leonard (who doesn't object to vulgarity on the battlefield and who uses
vulgarity unrestrainedly when he has smashed his toe or slammed a hammer
onto his thumb)