RE: OT: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: RE: OT: Profanity in the workplace
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:49:16 +0000

I don't consider good manners "erring."

Profane language in the workplace would be within reason if the office was suddenly hit by a 6.0 temblor or a company shutdown and mass layoff was unexpectedly announced. In these cases I might utter something out of character myself. Otherwise, I would consider it unprofessional conduct. If the utterer reported to me, I'd take him/her aside and privately counsel against using language that reflects badly on the person using it and if directed against persons who might take offense could potentially subject the company to "hostile workplace" complaints. Otherwise I would probably just make an effort to extricate myself from the conversation as gracefully as possible.

Gene Kim-Eng