RE: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: RE: Profanity in the workplace
From: "Butler, Darren J CTR USAF AFMC 584 CBSS/GBHDB" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: "Kat Kuvinka" <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:25:31 -0500

As I see it, there are two factors in play. There is the reasonably
expectation of professionalism in communication vs. this "he who is
offended first, wins" mentality that modern society has devolved into.
I'm sure that all of us have said something that offended someone else -
and for that, we all stand in need of a little grace from our colleagues
- but most adults understand the difference between "office-friendly"
and "non-office-friendly" speech. A FRIENDLY reminder should suffice for
most of us.

I would find the "laughing-off your request" even more offensive than
the expletive. If your co-worker was eating stinky cheese at his/her
desk, and you asked him/her to put it away, eat in the break area, wait
until you left the room or for-crying-out-loud crack a window(!), would
he/she laugh you off and peel-open a tin of sardines also? To me, a
person who insists that others be subject to their foul language is just
as offensive. The word(s) may hang in the air for only a split second
and can be quickly forgiven/forgotten, but blatant disregard for others
can linger and fester.

Yes, we have the general right to express ourselves, but not one of us
have a right to make another person hear anything we wish to express,
however we wish to express it. We also (to a point), have the right to
be stupid, but we have no right to display our ignorance on company
time. That's why "Happy Hour" was invented.

-Darren