Re: Jealousy in the TW workplace?

Subject: Re: Jealousy in the TW workplace?
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:20:07 -0600

Really though, I wouldn't actually do this :-)

I have found it more useful to just ignore the person and not react to their
attempts to get a rise out of me. If I disagree with someone, I usually
say, "you know, you could be right" and leave it at that.

There's been lots of talk about bullying, and I've had my share of that,
especially in my last position--where the boss was the lead bully and the
others followed along. They baited me constantly. The best response was
usually to take off my headphones and say "I'm sorry, were you talking to
me" and ask them to repeat themselves. Then I would look puzzled and say,
I'm sorry, what do you mean? The response was usually embaressed silence, or
if they explained, I would make a non-committal sound and say, I need to get
back to it and finish up (xyz) and put the headphones back on.

This all has to be done is a very neutral tone of voice and without any sort
of unhappy or aggressive body language or facial expressions.

In the meantime, I looked for another job. Because if it's the BOSS doing
this, there are very few ways to win in that situation.

Life is too short to spend the majority of your time with people like this,
really.

PT

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com