RE: Graphics question

Subject: RE: Graphics question
From: "Spectrum Writing" <info -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>
To: "'Fred Ridder'" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:57:39 -0700

Thanks all, and the comments about cropping helped. The graphic is basically
a BIG logo smack in the middle of a dark blue background, so I maintained
the aspect ratio and resized the image at 300 dpi to width and height of
3300 x 3300 for an 11.5 x 11.5 image. I then opened the image in SnagIt and
used the crop function which simply removes the unwanted area of a capture
and keeps the rest. Because the image is a large logo smacked in the middle
of a big blue background, I cropped the image starting at 0, 375 (1.25
inches to be removed from each side and at 300 dpi, that's a 375 pixel
starting point) and took the cropping to 2550 x 3300. It basically removed
to large rectangular portions of the dark blue of equal size from both sides
without touching the logo and now my image is 8.5 x 11 and appears just
fine.

Also, I do understand and appreciate the comments about the needing a
different image format with a different DPI, but I don't have that option.
The image is all that the client has left from a previous Graphic artist and
there's not much that I can do about that. It's for the cover of a PDF
(User's manual) that will be either printed or viewed online, so I am not
too worried about the ultimate look. Viewing it online, no one is going to
stay focused on the First page and printing it - well, it rarely gets
printed as it is accessible online.

Thanks all - this is a great bunch of helpful folks on this list.

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Owner/Principal

Spectrum Writing, LLC