After all, it is Friday...

Subject: After all, it is Friday...
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:51:50 +0200

I was thinking about some of the threads regarding various
tension-inducing factors on the job, and I began to wonder what kinds
of things you folks find useful for breaking the tension--or perhaps
exposing a side of yourself that may be surprising to your colleagues.

For example--one thing I used occasionally when in cubeland--a bottle
of bubbles. From time to time, when intensely bored or perhaps waiting
for a meeting, a necessary response from someone else before I could
proceed with a project, or the like, I'd lean back with the bottle and
see how large the bubbles would be, and how far I could get them to
float along the hallway.

To give you a bit more of the picture--I am nearly 6'4" tall, about
240 pounds, and often must have had a certain amount of intimidation
factor for those who didn't know me well on the job. To say it was an
ice breaker is not to put too fine a point on it.

At one job, a co-worker had a radio-controlled truck. He mounted a
note holder shaped like a large clothespin in the bed of the truck,
and from time to time he would send the car down the hallway to send
notesor documents to various others in the department--again, quite an
icebreaker.

Of course, there are the obvious outside the office facilities. I
noticed today on the Internet a photo of a pub called "Group Therapy"

David

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com