RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, SteveJanoff <Steve -dot- Janoff -at- Teradata -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:02:23 -0700 (PDT)

This sort of thing depends a lot on the company. If you think tool fixation is a thing of the past, think again. In the past few months there must have been a dozen times I've heard something like "Oh, you haven't worked with Tool X - sorry, we can't use you." Or "Well, you do have Tool Y on your resume but we want someone who's used it for 4 years and you've only used it for 2 years - sorry, better luck elsewhere."

A lot of times, companies get their procedures wrapped around using one particular tool. From then on they insist on people with a lot of experience with that tool because everyone is used to dealing with it - their entire process is based on knowing what to put into it and dealing with what comes out of it. They're afraid of what might happen if they try something else. That is just as prevalent today as it ever was.

All things considered, I think it's probably better to include all the tool mentions that you logically can. Sometimes, mention of a tool can date you too much. But I think problems coming from doing that are less likely than problems coming from not listing tools. Suppose you haven't used Novell Netware since it was DOS-based. If you put "Netware 2.1" on your resume, you've dated yourself out of the running. But, there's nothing that says you have to indicate the version on your resume. If they want to know they can ask you, and there's a chance they won't.

I figure on applying for any job I think I could do, regardless of how much time with tools they specify. Maybe my resume will be read by someone other than the guy who prepared the ad that describe the position requirements. Sometimes the ad is prepared by people who don't know that much about the actual production process, so they get it wrong when they put down the years-required figures. Maybe if I have less experience with a tool than they want, they may get interested anyway because they may think they can me you at a lower rate. At least that might get some contact started. Small chance is better than none.

Since the whole thing about what you put on a resume is about getting a foot in the door, I figure a resume should list everything that might knock at a frequency they can hear.