RE: Top 10 mistakes unstructured FrameMaker Users make in contentbeforetranslation

Subject: RE: Top 10 mistakes unstructured FrameMaker Users make in contentbeforetranslation
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:22:00 -0400

Thanks to Richard for the link to Maxwell's blog!

As the original blog notes, "most of the undesirable practices mentioned
in this blog also apply to InDesign and Microsoft Word content as well."
Thus, avoid the following in Word documents, as in the original article:

1. Unanchored graphics
2. Forced upper-case character styles
3. Single-line page headers pulled from paragraph headings
4. Side-head layouts
5. Single tables that fill a whole page
6. Forced page breaks

To these I would add:

7. Manual character and paragraph formatting
8. Style-based list numbering
9. Floating tables
10. Tracked changes
11. Embedded objects
12. Inconsistent index marks
13. Inconsistent heading styles (think about the TOC!)

Oops, I'm already well past 10... and I'm sure the Peanut Gallery can
come up with plenty more.

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com