RE: Top 10 mistakes unstructured FrameMaker Users make in content before translation

Subject: RE: Top 10 mistakes unstructured FrameMaker Users make in content before translation
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:57:58 -0400

Gene asked, "If she was able to "move them back where she wanted them," that suggests that they weren't just randomly placed "anywhere and everywhere." Did you ask her why there were where they were before you moved them?"

Yes, I did ask, at first. She didn't know any better. To be fair, I didn't know then about translation problems, so neither did I. It just irked me that they were scattered around randomly. But she did know she was the lead writer and that she was in charge and so we had to do what she said. I found that if I made non-technical changes while assigned to a book she had created, she put them back, either directly when she was reassigned the book, or indirectly through review comments of my drafts. She was the only person I've encountered in over 30 years in the profession who regarded disagreeing with review comments as insubordination. I found that a persuasive argument 8^( So I just put back the stuff she wanted put back, even the technical errors. (Except one time, when she wrote the word "alot" when she meant "a lot." the latter was imprecise, but the former is an illiteracy, and I changed it, though with a lot of trepidation.)

As I said, it was an unhealthy working relationship, one that I'm well and happily past.

-- Steve

Steven Jong ("Typo? What tpyo?")
SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
978-413-2553 [C]