Re: (Un)Seriously Friday (was RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?)

Subject: Re: (Un)Seriously Friday (was RE: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 11:15:57 +0300

Interestingly enough, there are other instances of machinery in Europe
that are very large. In major part, this is because wages are so high
in the E.U. for many things that it may be much cheaper to invest in
larger equipment that takes less labor per unit of production.

For example, nearly twenty years ago, the largest printing press in
the world was one in Sweden. It was a web offset press that could
print a 160 page book in a single impression. The negatives for making
its plates were specially made just for this press by Kodak. If I
recall correctly, it took something like a quarter to half mile of
paper just to get the press up to speed and fully synched.

Strip mining machinery such as this Krupp example are often quite
huge, partly because in many cases so much material must be processed
to get a useable output. For example, the largest dump trucks I can
find reference to are the Liebherr T 282B and the Terex Unit Rig,
either of which are designed to carry up to 400 tons at a time. These
would be the sort of rigs used with the large strip mining machines
such as we are discussing here. Note that LIebherr, as you might
imagine, is a German company.

Also, from a tech writing perspective--all of these machines are so
large they are shipped to the job site in pieces and assembled on
site. Thus, instruction manuals would have to include full assembly
instructions in addition to normal maintenance processes. The scale of
the job of maintaining them is incredible as well. I saw a video not
long ago featuring a Cat dump rig just a tiny bit smaller than these
two--and before it went in for routine maintenance, it was run through
a wash booth--and just washing it took 12 hours of work, to get it
clean enough to be sure the mechanics were able to see everything and
get to it all for service. The tires on that machine were 13 feet tall
and cost $60,000 each, by the way.

David

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com