Numbering in MS Word 2003 using SEQ and LISTNUM

Subject: Numbering in MS Word 2003 using SEQ and LISTNUM
From: "Trish Robertson" <trobertson -at- seniorwholehealth -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:12:58 -0400

Hi,

I have a document with over 50 series of procedures, some with level 2
series of steps. That is a), b), etc. As you all know, MS Words numbered
lists don't cut it. You can't restart numbering reliably, and numbers
don't stay the way they should from edit session to edit session. Or,
even within the same edit session for that matter.

I have created auto correct entries using {SEQ numlist \r1} and {SEQ
numlist \n}. The problem is in the second series of steps, after step 1,
and I insert {SEQ numlist \n), the number inserted is not number 2. It
is the next number following the previous series of steps. What do I
need to do?

Assuming the above problem can be solved, can I use the SEQ field code
for a level 2 series of steps? Or do I need to use LISTNUM for that?

Also, is it possible to format the numbers? That is, use another font at
another size in bold?

I have gone through the Techwr-L archives and looked for help on
Microsoft's site, but found very little helpful information.

Can someone, would someone, point me to the site that will provide the
help I need? Help!

Thanks in advance.

Trish

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com