Reversing word order in Excel 2007 cells

Subject: Reversing word order in Excel 2007 cells
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:56:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hey gang,

Does anybody familiar with the inner workings of Excel 2007 so much so that they know if there is a way to change the word order within a cell?

The parent company (in China) of my U.S.-based division e-mailed me a few weeks ago with a request to confirm/change the English-language descriptions in a series of Excel 2007 files for the various off-road heavy equipment products we manufacture and sell.

So while we're busy enough trying to see if we can complete the 20 books already assigned to us (half-and-half split between operation manuals and parts books for each product),Âwe now have this on our plate. And knowing full well that it's bad form to deny the home office a request, I went ahead and provided printouts of the various files to the appropriate product managers here (all engineers) for them to either pencil corrections in or edit the files themselves.

The result is a few words here and there changed outÂbecause the original English-language terms were so totally unfamiliar. So now the remaining monumental task is to present the descriptions correctly with the main item first and then followed by the descriptors with only the first word capped.

Lots of them are rather mundane (for instance, in a drilling rig parts list, "Locking pin" becomes "Pin, locking"). But a huge percentage are very specific ("Upper arc plate of the first rod" becomes "Plate, arc, upper, first rod").

Others are just totally baffling to both the U.S. engineers and we the tech writers ("Forgings square-head (connected with reinforced tube of â pole)" becomes who-knows-what?).

Anyway, a few files have several dozen rows and others have many more, and a few have over a thousand rows, thus the need for some kind of automatic or keyboard shortcut (I should be so lucky eh?).

I've never even dabbled in writing scripts and wouldn't know how to do that or how to "use" them.

Or is this a dark alley with a dead end?

Any help is appreciated.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com