Re: Screen Capture Software?

Subject: Re: Screen Capture Software?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:37:49 -0700

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> A *portable* screenshot utility. Now *that's* handy. I can think of about a
> dozen occasions when I wish I'd had a flash drive loaded with that tool in
> my pocket!
> -Fred Ridder

After downloading and trialing LightScreen Portable, I've decided to
stick with my FastStone Capture - and yes, Fred, it runs off my USB
key just fine.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

It does most everything we need:
- Capture screen, window, or portion
- Crop, resize image, resize canvas
- Basic image editor
- Annotations, callouts
- Borders, funky edges
- Save to anywhere
- Include mouse pointer if desired
- Delay screenshot (so you can get into position)

How many actually use all the template features of Snagit, anyway? Be
honest now!

Note that Word won't display PNGs natively in "Normal" view, but will
in "Page Layout". Another option would be to import the PNG into a
Visio object and layer the annotations and callouts in Visio. For some
reason Visio objects display in Normal view.

To give credit where due, I learned of FastStone from Ben Hechter, who
teaches a great class on writing and testing software manuals at BCIT
in Burnaby. He's also the leader of the local STC CWC
Contractors/Independent Consulting SIG, and will be speaking at our
program meeting tomorrow night.
http://www.stcwestcoast.ca/index.php/site/events/856/

Cheers,

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -