Re: wikispaces.....

Subject: Re: wikispaces.....
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:26:30 +0300

Sorry, but I haven't used Wikispaces. At least in their intro stuff,
though, I see nothing about portability or about Word import, for that
matter.

While I am far from a wiki expert, I have not until today been aware
of a wiki that made import of Word docs very feasible other than as
plain text. However, did a little looking around and one I found
apparently does. It also allows easy transfer from a hosted
environment to a client/server setup, as well as export to an
open-source MediaWiki platform. In fact, this one is based on
MediaWiki, and allows any one of thousands of plugins for MediaWiki to
be used for extra flexibility. In case you check it out, it's at:

<http://onbusinesswiki.com/>

A very good place to start is Wiki Matrix, which has a simple wizard
to focus you in on decent choices depending upon some simple criteria.

<http://www.wikimatrix.org/index.php>

I hope this may help!

David

> From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
> To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:07:48 -0400
> Subject: wikispaces.....
> Hi all,
>

> I just got a contact to help set up a wiki for one of my clients. The
> requirements are the wiki has to be on a hosted service; it has to be
> portable; and it has to have a solid user base. Currently, they are looking
> at wikispaces. The original material will be generated using Word and then
> imported.
>

> Has anyone had experience with workspaces and what sort of snags should I be
> aware of when developing and uploading content? Are there any comparable
> wikis out there to wikispaces?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Al Geist

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -