RE: Conditional content - what do you do with it?

Subject: RE: Conditional content - what do you do with it?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "magk -at- mindspring -dot- com" <magk -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 16:37:42 -0400

Keith Hood typed:

> Nothing is perfect.

You're talking about my eyes?

> I make a lot of use of variables so I can
> update things automatically.  And when I say duplicate
> content, I mean immediately adjacent. I figure it's easier to
> change sentences in two paragraphs right next to each other
> than to deal with a jumble of condition tags. To each his own.

I've been tending that way, lately... ever since my eyes
got old, last month. . . :-)

Seriously, that arrangement seems to be the best bet.

I haven't yet decided if I might make an exception for
product names.
Once upon a time, that would have been a frequent thing
to deal with, but I've been steadily replacing most
occurrences of <some-product-name>/<some-other-product-name>
with generic wording such as "your HSM" or "the HSM server",
etc., as appropriate.

It gives me much less grief, and the visuals are ever-so-much
less cluttered.

It's good to see other people's perspectives and suggestions.

I can't really act on suggestions to use a different HAT,
but restraining myself to conditional blocks no smaller
than a full paragraph is probably the biggest help.

Cheers,

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -