Re: Writing clearly

Subject: Re: Writing clearly
From: Janet Swisher <jmswisher -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:42:46 -0500

People who need tips on writing clearly also need help with figuring
out which words are needless, so that advice is nearly useless.

Read the text aloud, or better yet, have someone else read it aloud.
If anything sounds awkward or causes the reader to stumble, simplify
until it doesn't.

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Dan Goldstein
<DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
> My favorite list is the Table of Contents of "The Elements of Style" by
> Strunk and White. These precious gems include:
>
> "Use the active voice."
> "Put statements in positive form."
> "Use definite, specific, concrete language."
>
> And the three most beautiful words in the English language:
>
> "Omit needless words."
>
> "When [Will Strunk] delivered his oration on brevity to the class, he
> leaned forward over his desk, grasped his coat lapels in his hands, and,
> in a husky, conspiratorial voice, said, 'Rule Seventeen. Omit needless
> words! Omit needless words! Omit needless words!'"

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -