RE: Writing clearly

Subject: RE: Writing clearly
From: "Kieran Sullivan" <ksullivan -at- tssg -dot- org>
To: "'Richard L Hamilton'" <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>, "'Richard Mateosian'" <xrmxrm -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:32:21 +0100

Not a very original idea on my part, but I think George Orwell's six "tips"
from his essay, "Politics and the English Language" are worth including:

(i) Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are
used to seeing in print.

(ii) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you
can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything barbarous.

Regards,
Kieran.

Kieran Sullivan
Telecommunications Software & Systems Group, (www.tssg.org)