Re: how much slack in "Factory Reset"

Subject: Re: how much slack in "Factory Reset"
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:39:38 -0700

(whoops, I meant to CC this to the list)

> SECOND QUESTION
> For the first scenario (first paragraph, above) what might be
> a better term than "Factory Reset".

I think factory reset is a bad term in an age when firmware upgrades can
enable a device to diverge from what was actually shipped from the
factory. In this case there often isn't a way to really really recover
the device as it originally was unless you have a backup of the original
factory image.

For a lot of devices I've seen resets differentiated along the lines of
"soft" and "hard" resets where a soft reset just reboots the device but
preserves user settings and data, whereas a hard reset will wipe out all
user data and reset the device as if it hadn't ever been used before
(modulo firmware upgrades). I've also seen the latter referred to as a
"system" reset.

Laura
coffee is my reset

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -