Brand Product and Brand Product or Brand Product/Product?

Subject: Brand Product and Brand Product or Brand Product/Product?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:28:24 -0400

I know the lawyers might eventually say something, but
what (O' list) is your informal take on this...

When a document (or a CD title or...) mentions two related
products together, do you think it's acceptable to mention
the leading brand just once and separate the two products
by a slash?
Or should they each be spelled out, for brand preservation
reasons, each time?

For example, "Insert the Lumpy Cadeaux/Bijoux Software Development
Kit CD"
or
"Insert the Lumpy Cadeau and Lumpy Bijoux Software Development
Kit CD"
where "Lumpy" is a product line/brand of some renown, and
Cadeaux and Bijoux are models or products within the larger
line or family.

I ask because somebody has been doing the "/" thing for space
reasons on a CD, and I think that could be a tactical error
in brand-preservation land.

Wisdom of the list suggests?

If I ask the lawyers directly, it could stir up a hornet's nest
and get many fingers rapped. If I just go one level above the
person who made the decision, her fingers (or worse) might get
rapped if I'm right and she's wrong. So I'd like to get a feel
for what's appropriate, and just approach her directly, but with
some informed opinion behind me.

Kevin McLauchlan
Senior Technical Writer
SafeNet, Inc.

or disclosing it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -