RE: Nobody reviewed the manuals

Subject: RE: Nobody reviewed the manuals
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:28:26 -0500

Ah, yes... the old "can't see the forest for the trees" issue.

I ran into that several years ago when I started this job. Once I started editing, I marked up everything I could find. The writers would make corrections, and I'd end up marking up a bunch more things on the next pass. A couple of the writers were not happy to hear me say, "I didn't see it the first time because of all the other markups."

And they would be *really* peeved when I didn't catch something until a revision or two down the road. Oy!!! Funny, tho, -- they didn't like it when I told them that if they would proof their own work FIRST before sending it to me there wouldn't have to be multiple reviews... <eyeroll>.

Eventually we got to the point where the major issues were fixed (and oh, there were many) and I was starting to find all the little niggling ones.

-C