Interesting Development

Subject: Interesting Development
From: "Phillips, Wanda" <wanda -dot- phillips -at- philips -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:19:19 +0200

In part because our development teams are distributed (east coast, west coast, other coasts, other countries), they set up discussion lists for the various product groups. A lot of times, the information is of little or no use to me (opening and closing branches for merge) but I've started to use the lists to ask questions of the development teams. I had, up until now, relied on knowing someone I could ask. They generally point me in the direction of the person I need. Increasingly, and this is still a new thing for me, I'm using the lists to broadcast questions to the teams. My most recent question was about interface options. The code branches are different for different feature sets, but sometimes they use the same underlying functionality. They try to leverage, but what I end up with is slight variations (Color codes vs Color Codes or Data Smoothing vs Curve Smoothing) for stuff that shares a definition.

We also have a wiki, but I find that the wiki is used more as a broadcast system, whereas the in-house lists are used for discussions.

What are other groups doing out there with the tools available? Are you in a position to introduce tools?

Wanda

Wanda Phillips
Senior Technical Writer
Philips Healthcare, Ultrasound
22100 Bothell Everett Hwy
Bothell WA 98021-8431
Office: 425-487-7967

"There is a certain majesty in simplicity which is far above all the quaintness of wit."
Alexander Pope

Keep it simple and green - print double-sided if you need to print at all.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/