RE: Re: A market survey (sort of)

Subject: RE: Re: A market survey (sort of)
From: techwr -at- genek -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:47:31 +0000

I've used VSS (commercial) CVS and SVN (open source). Both are systems that are really designed for use with software code, so when working with binary data such as Word or Frame files they cannot be used to merge simultaneous changes and are limited to check-in/check-out version control and backup.

I found their best use was for managing work in progress by distributed teams. Attempting to use them as document control repositories is a very risky operation, unless you develop a process for packing up completed projects and moving them to another repository with restricted access that prevents the files from being changed.

Don't even think of trying to use a CMS as a document control system if your document control is subject to FDA, FAA, SOX or similar audits.

Gene Kim-Eng

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Keith Hood wrote:
> I have to make some decisions on software buying and some other things, and
> I could really use some input. I would be very appreciative if you folks
> could provide responses to these questions:
>
> Have you ever used a content management system? How did it perform?
>
> If you have used these systems, what where their benefits and flaws?
>
> About CMS software - in what situations do you think they are or are not
> useful?

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/