Index entries in online help

Subject: Index entries in online help
From: Joe Weinmunson <litlfrog -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:28:25 -0400

I'm struggling some with building my index entries for a .chm
file--one "best practices" issues, one technical issue.

1) Do you set some kind of practical limit to how many topics each
index entry should link to? The billing portion of our software uses
bill codes for different charges. References to bill codes probably
crop up on 50 help topics, but I obviously don't want the "bill codes"
index entry to contain 50 links! There are probably 10 or so topics
that are particularly focused on bill codes, and even 10 links seems
like too many for the index entry.

2) There's something I'm not getting about "see also" entries, even
after reading instructions from a few sources. I get that "see"
entries are meant to point readers to a synonymous entry. But "see
also" entries look like they should both link to help topics AND link
to another index entry. I'm not getting how to do that.

--
Joe Weinmunson

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or
believe to be beautiful.
--William Morris

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/