Re: Writing a product functional spec AFTER the product is built

Subject: Re: Writing a product functional spec AFTER the product is built
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:43:48 -0700

This doesn't sound all that "quirky" to me at all. In my experience the
salestool version of the "specifications" is almost always written after the
product is built, at least in prototype. In cases where there is already an
existing design specification, the sales version is usually created by taking
the design document and hacking away information that is considered unnecessary
for customers and/or potentially too IP-revealing to competitors. But I've seen
plenty of situations where development started out with fairly vague goals, then
evolved into product as the technology was worked out, and for those we
inevitably turned out the user manuals and functional descriptions when the
process was at or near completion. And yes, some of these actually were
successful. :)

Your customers don't need to know and probably don't care that the product specs
you provide them were created "retroactively," or that they aren't the original
"requirements" the product was developed to. They want to know what
configuration and performance the specs are promising to them, and under what
conditions and applications. IOW, they want to know the results of your
development process, not what its goals were.

Gene Kim-Eng