Re: (C'mon Now, Organ)...Do the "Tighten Up"

Subject: Re: (C'mon Now, Organ)...Do the "Tighten Up"
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:15:29 -0700

On 7/13/2010 8:26 PM, Chris Morton wrote:
>> Closer, but it was a subscription newsletter having 20K readers, so it
>> wasn't "internal." Managing editor is closer yet, but still doesn't quite
>> nail it.
>>
>> Does anyone have any big issue with the way I initially displayed it (i.e.,
>> multiple slashes)?

I should have kept reading before posting. I do not care for slashes.
To me, they show that a person does a lot of different things in one
job, which is great for an assistant position (like a Girl Friday, from
the waaay old days), but not for a leadership position. I like my job
descriptions to show a solid focus, although I do address the matter of
handling multiple functions in one job.

Your job description:

*...magazine author and "tips" newsletter
researcher/editor/designer/publisher.*

Your description reads to me like each function has equal weight. So
the magazine author part of the position with 20K readers is no more
important than the "tips" newsletter position, although I think of
newsletters as being less important than magazine articles. Also, since
you seemed to have done everything in the newsletter position, it seems
like the newsletter may have been your own pet project, since there is
not much else for anyone else to do. I would pare my contribution to
the newsletter so that it would like there were more people involved. I
would also describe the focus of the magazine whether it is medical,
technology, real estate, or whatever. You did not mention the industry
that you are discussing and that is somewhat important.

Perhaps I would say something like, "...medical products magazine writer
and newsletter research editor."

Lauren

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/