Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:51:02 -0700

Steven,

I want to commend you and the board for working long and hard on
trying to find a workable solution. I read with interest your blog
post on: http://stevenjong.net/WordPress26/?p=121 that described how
certification was discussed for the first time in 1964, and tabled a
business plan 20 years later (which eventually got shelved).

Regardless of the active discussion, I believe STC is moving in the
right direction to focus on peer review rather than exams. As Sharon
pointed out: certification is voluntary and not mandatory, and I hope
that it continues to be this way. In Canada, the different accountants
organizations have basically shot themselves in both feet because in
addition to their training programs, they also demand that all
registered accountants take $5000 worth of courses and seminars
annually to keep their certification. All this on top of the
membership fee. If you ever wondered why your accountant charges
$200/hour... well, now you know.

The STC has long been fighting to remain relevant to the industry.
Certification may help with that objective.

Funny you mention "Hedtke's law" in your blog post. John posted on
Sharon's blog that he doesn't believe certification will make a
difference. ("But I could be wrong," he continued).

-Tony

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/