RE: how to draw a moving cable?

Subject: RE: how to draw a moving cable?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:38:05 -0700

McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> I used Visio for a few years, but stopped when I first got
> Illustrator.
>
> In those days, the endpoints had to be on standard connection
> points of standardized flow-chart shapes. I don't remember
> being able to set the same kind of "follow-me" attachment
> on an arbitrary and complex constructed figure (like a
> perspective view of a network appliance).

I'm not exactly a Visio power user -- mostly, I just use it for flow charts, network diagrams, etc. But I do know that you can add connection points to shapes wherever you want them, and I assume that's the case for the kind of "not a Visio smart shape" object you're contemplating.

Although, if you go for Visio, you should probably explore the world of third-party shape libraries. For instance, Cisco and others make available for your use Visio libraries full of very nice, professional renderings of their devices.

If the objects you need are your company's products, maybe you or some graphics guru there can figure out how to make such figures into smart Visio shapes -- and then you could make them available for your customers to use in their diagrams. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/