Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Faith Wallis <faithwallis -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:30:31 -0400

> Yes, they do.  It is called the CAPM
> (http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/AboutCredentialsCAPM.aspx)

Very interesting!

> As for immediate knee-jerk reactions, I admit I had them to the whole
> idea of technical communicator certification.  However, if STC will
> also listen to those that are not members (for whatever reason...mine
> is cost at the moment...I just can't afford the membership) who may
> have something good to contribute, I'd love to keep watching, reading,
> and finding out more about the certification.  It has the potential
> for good.  I'd like to be part of shaping that so that it *is* good.

I believe STC is indeed listening to non-members as well.
Certification is NOT just for members. Neither is the BOK, and as Tony
Chung pointed out, anyone can visit the BOK online and sign up to
assist with fleshing out an area based on expertise.

I see (and will continue to make noise otherwise) STC changing from
the once inward-facing organization it used to be (and that everyone
loved to hate) into the techcomm-facing organization it is supposed to
be. It's a very good thing.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/