RE: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: RE: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:23:06 -0500

<snip>It doesn't mean that the correct way isn't still all 10 steps. It
means I know what the steps are and I can say "OK, Boss, I'll skip 3, 6,
and 7, but remember, you hired me for what I know and I know that step 9
cannot be missed...let's find some other place we can trim some
resources." </snip>

***********************

I have a hard time envisioning a certification process that would be a
very good predictor of such an astute response.

And because "certification isn't a test that you'll keep a boss happy"
it becomes, at some level, only tangentially relevant to the hiring
process. One of the four key questions to which ANY prospective boss
wants answers is: "Can he or she do the job the way I want it done?"

If I were to consider hiring you, and in the process make the
determination that the answer to that question was no, then I don't care
what certificate you have.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/