Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribble

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribble
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:13:19 -0400

Milan DavidoviÄ commented on the certification survey results I quoted:

> "Most of these sources themselves offer some sort of certification, so it might be in their better interests to present certification as beneficial. Were you concerned about bias? Did you look into how any of them arrived at these results?"

That's a fair question. Salary surveys tend to be self-selecting, but most of these surveys had such large responses that that are accurate. Looking at my source materials for salary data, I see that the certification organizations themselves didn't collect the data:

Association of Financial Professionals: Certified support staff +30%--2009 salary survey (their 21st annual), so not about certification per se; 3000 responses.

Institute of Management Accountants: CPA, CMAs, and CFMs +27%--2007 salary survey (their 18th annual); randomly sent to 4,600 members, 36% return rate.

Certified Fraud Examiners: +22%--2008 salary survey; 3000 responses; research conducted by professional research firm Industry Insights, Inc. http://www.acfe.com/documents/2008-comp-guide.pdf

American Association of Professional Coders (2007): certified coders +17%--2007 survey of 5155 professional coders. http://www.aapc.com/documents/Salary_Survey2007.pdf

Project Management Institute: PMPs +15%--Survey by Foote Partners LLC, an IT workforce research company.

Certified Information Systems Auditor: +10%--I believe this was Certification Magazineâs 2007 Salary Survey.

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Chair
STC Certification Committee

mailto:SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
mobile:978-413-2553

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.
-- H. L. Mencken

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/