Re: TOC in Word 2007 for Multiple Files

Subject: Re: TOC in Word 2007 for Multiple Files
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: ltc -dot- writer -at- comcast -dot- net, Tech Whirler List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:41:58 -0500

There is a macro that I was using that I got on the Internet. Here is the
link:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=148

There used to be a download link for the macro when did not work the last
time I tried it. The macro text is included on the page (link above) so you
can just copy and paste it into a new macro in Word.

It works quite well, even in Word 2007. It also makes use of RD fields. Do
*not* put any quote marks in the RD field string--it doesn't work with them.
You have to create several documents, but it's not hard. It is important to
use a local disk to store and update the files--I was not able to get it to
work on a LAN drive. Keep all the documents in their own directory, without
other files in there.

The macro updates the page numbers in each document so they are numbered
consequtively. It looks like one big document, even though each section or
chapter is a separate Word document. Pretty cool.

Good luck!
PT