Re: Fonts in web help

Subject: Re: Fonts in web help
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:05:03 -0700

2010/8/19 Jefe de redacción <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>

> Corporate likes "Akkurat".
>
> I'm aware of the font stack, thanks.
> Wasn't clear about @font-face. Still not.
> Most likely don't want to be, but that was probably
> what I was asking about, though I didn't know it.

You're lucky. Most people really like Rotis.

I found a number of great free typefaces on http://www.fontsquirrel.com .
For several of them, they even include an "@font-face" kit.

If you have font files that may be licensed for web use (say, your own
commissioned design), you can upload them to the squirrel site and generate
your own @font-face kit. The additional benefit of the generator is that it
can also build a "cufon" kit, which is another javascript based
font-replacement technology used in web pages.

Of course, I can't speak as to whether these would work for sure in compiled
help files. There may be some glitches preventing javascript and external
font files, for example. But I see no problem with incorporating them in
other help formats, such as Eclipse Infocenter, JavaHelp, and Adobe AIR
Help.

-Tony

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/