Re: Scrum sucks!

Subject: Re: Scrum sucks!
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 03:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

Well again, maybe you aren't being allowed to do SCRUM. There's no doubt that
bad situations exist, and they really do suck. You might as well say that
communism sucks because communist regimes practice torture. Or democracy sucks
for the same reason. It isn't the ideology that sucks, it's the specific
regime.

If I had a 300 page task on my plate, SCRUM would give me the following
guidelines:
* First, just say no. Don't accept it because it can't be done, if that's how
you feel about it.
* If you accept it, provide a realistic estimate. Industry averages are around
4 pages an hour.

That would be 75 hours. Or let's say 100 pages a week at 25 hours each
week. Maybe that's

not unrealistic after all? If you're 100% on that project, and the team has
something solid

for you to work against, maybe you can do it. If you have two 300-page
tasks, then something

has to give... State your available hours up front. And I would suggest
you don't fall into the trap

of estimating 8 hours a day -- nobody really works 8 hours a day on the
specific task. We're not

machines -- if machines could do the work, we'd be unemployed already.
* Establish what to consider DONE for that task. Is BETA alright? Or must it
be GA? Work that out, and

set up the tasks that correspond to your milestones. And again, provide
realistic estimates.
* Along with your estimate, you have to identify dependencies and possible
blockers. Be up front

with this in the planning meeting. "I need specs for these features, or
working product." or "I can't

document this product until you give me a lab machine with X, Y, and Z on
it." Whatever you need,

get it on the table at the planing meeting. It's not unusual for that to
become a task for somebody else...

For example, if you need a review by the end of week 3, say so. And don't
rest until the review is made

into specific tasks for specific people with specific (and realistic) time
estimates attached. Maybe your

dependencies will result in dropping a story from the sprint... So be it.
It's all about setting realistic

expectations.
* In the standup meetings, if you have a blocker, say so. And
state the actual risk -- "I need to document FOO, but the FOO design is
still changing significantly.

I can't document anything else because all my remaining features rely on
FOO. Each day that I

have to wait adds 8 hours to my estimate." That's what the standups are
for.

cud