Re: dumping on job applicants (was Re: Rates)

Subject: Re: dumping on job applicants (was Re: Rates)
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:17:34 -0400

Easy solution: keep busy and make sure your resume reflects it.
Blackballing candidates with large gaps in work history (recent or
earlier) is nothing new. Take a class, volunteer for your church or
kid's school, maintain an active blog, and by all means put your name
out there as someone available for contract work.

Visibility is paramount and is proof that you have been keeping your
skills sharp. Honestly, if I saw a gap of 6+ months with no
explanation other than "laid off" or "job hunting", I'd think twice
about hiring that person as well. Gaps like this speak volume about
initiative, whether or not that message is true. Make sure you stay
active in some manner and make your resume reflect it!

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com