Re: Need some grammar help

Subject: Re: Need some grammar help
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:41:42 +0800

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM, A.B. Cornwell <cornwell -dot- ab -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> The text for the class says "To get your message ready to send over the
> Internet, your computer first breaks it into tiny *packets* of data, this is
> the responsibility of the transmission control protocol, the TCP part of
> TCP/IP.

Yes, sometimes. But some things use UDP instead of TCP, and in either
cases IP can break packets down further (fragmentation) at various places
in the process.

You instructor clearly wants you to regurgitate the text, and has a blind
spot large enough to conceal the fact that your answer is also correct.
Humour him or her.

> The packets are put into little electronic envelopes, each one
> bearing a Web address, and handed over to the Internet protocol, the IP part
> of TCP/IP. IP then sends the packets through the lines we talked about
> already (you know, from your house to your ISP to the hub), using a series
> of *routers* to get your packets from point A to point B."
>
> I know, it's lame. ÂI too looked for TCP/IP as one of the responses.

Not just lame, appalling.

"web address"? The correct term is IP address.

"Packets are put into little electronic envelopes." Spare me! Data is put
into packets, which have a header (a bit like the address on an envelope)
for address and port information.

http://www.doctohelp.com