Re: New rules for business correspondence

Subject: Re: New rules for business correspondence
From: Richard Mateosian <xrmxrm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:20:33 -0800

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Ladonna Weeks <ladonnaweeks -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> A digest reader apparently has absolutely no way to reply to a post

This is a good argument for using individual email messages and
filtering them into your own "digest" folder.

> Sandy placed that information after the original text, and since I was scrolling
> through the digest, I almost missed it.

Yet another argument against digests.

> And I think that even in an individual email, I might have missed it, thinking that the person might have hit the Send
> button before replying, which I've done on occasion.

Unless there is a huge amount of quoted material -- generally a bad
idea -- the reply should be right there on the screen. In any event,
it seems strange to assume user error before even looking for the
expected message.

> Regardless of what you think is "right," if everybody does it the "wrong" way,
> you may have to bow to convention.

If you construct messages the same way as everyone else, that helps
your readers understand what you're doing. But if you construct your
messages clearly and concisely, regardless of the order of the parts,
that also helps. The second factor, in my opinion, is more important
than the first. ...RM

--

Richard Mateosian <xrm -at- pacbell -dot- net>
Berkeley, California

http://www.doctohelp.com