RE: New doc group: FrameMaker or Flare?

Subject: RE: New doc group: FrameMaker or Flare?
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: 'Jefe de redacciÃn' <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:24:54 +0000

In my previous job, in which I was using H&M, I published nightly, automatically (using a scheduled task, a simple script, and a batch file), several different documents in PDF and HTML, branded differently for three different customers. I could also launch a manual build of all of the docs whenever I wanted to by running the batch file. And of course, I could publish just one version of any of the documents in any format manually from within the GUI.

While I could have used the bundled help and PDF templates, I used custom templates and did not have to do any post processing. I did some testing with output to Word, and that did require some minimal post production re-work (Title page and inserting the TOC as I recall).

I'm not sure what you mean by "duplicate pages." In H&M, if you include the same page in two places in your TOC, when you create the a PDF (or .doc) that page will be in two places in the document.

The only "nasty" I encountered didn't have to do with publishing per se; it had to do with limitations in the formatting of snippets. H&M does not enable you to format snippets in-line. For example, if you want one instance of your snippet to be in bold face and the other to be in italics, H&M didn't allow that (but neither does Flare).