Re: Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Subject: Re: Customer-friendly word for "landline"
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 23:30:58 -0800

On 2/4/2011 8:26 PM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> At one time, every 911 call from a cell phone anywhere in the San Francisco Bay
> area was being routed to a single CA Highway Patrol call center and had to be
> relayed from there to the appropriate local emergency service.

911 has improved since then. Now, calls made to 911 are routed based on
the nearest tower, although calls are routed to CHP in unincorporated
areas and to local police services in incorporated areas. Cell phone
providers also let subscribers indicate their home address for their
cell phone now, which helps somewhat.

It is still best, though, when calling from home, to use a landline,
even a landline without service will have emergency and repair service.
Emergency calls from a cell phone should be made to the appropriate
emergency service line, rather than 911, but I think that the emergency
dispatch for law enforcement is usually the 911 dispatch center.

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com