Re: WIKIPEDIA

Subject: Re: WIKIPEDIA
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:51:09 +0800

2011/2/11 RÃdacteur en chef <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>:

> Does Wikipedia count as technical writing?
> If not, stop reading here, and Admin can spank me (no permission
> needed, just sayin'...)

You might try other Wikis. WP is by no means the only one
out there. Here are a few I know and am active on; there
are dozens beyond this,.

Citizendium (www.citizendium.org) is an attempt to do
roughly what WP does, a full-coverage encyclopedia, but
do it better. It was started by one of the original WP team.
No anonymous edits are allowed; you must sign up with\
your real name before you can edit. There are editors
(as opposed to mere authors), experts in their fields,
who provide oversight.

One stated goal is to be citable, accurate enough to count
as a legitimate citation in an academic paper, which WP
generally doesn't. There's a mechanism whereby editors
can "approve" articles, mark them as reasonably accurate
and complete. The approved ones are intended to be
citable. I put some I wrote on some versions of my CV.

It is not clear to me that CZ is succeeding, or will, but
it is certainly an interesting experiment.

Wikitravel.org is a worldwide travel guide wiki,

Rationalwiki.org is a wiki dedicated to debunking various
bits of pseudoscience.
.

http://www.doctohelp.com