Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions

Subject: Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L list" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:06:06 -0800

They both have the same objective, which is to help the uninitiated avoid asking questions that will be considered "stupid" by people who are less likely to be helpful if those kinds of questions are asked of them.

If I'm coaching less experienced "apprentice" types of colleagues or subordinates, I encourage them to ask lots of questions, including questions that might be considered "stupid." But until they develop the experience and knowledge to be able to recognize those potentially problematic questions, I encourage them to direct their questions at me, rather than at the people I want to avoud addressing them to. The responsibility for promoting a "supportive team environment" for a new member of your team is you, not the people you're trying to train the new team member to be effective at working with.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil" <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
Advice for not asking stupid questions on an open-source help forum (referring back to the OP's link here) and advice for not asking questions in a professional environment (where all are supposed to be pulling towards the same goal) are rather different kettles of fish. Or so it seems to me.

http://www.doctohelp.com