Re: Is my Acrobat up to speed?

Subject: Re: Is my Acrobat up to speed?
From: Paul Goble <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:57:04 -0600

David wrote:
> And this takes 7min 32 sec from clicking [Start] to seeing new opened pdf file.

Your system seems reasonably configured (though a little short on
RAM), but the PDF creation time seems unreasonably slow.

A likely culprit is the combination of linked images and real-time
antivirus scanning. As Word reads the images, the antivirus software
scans. each. image. one. at. a. time. If you can, try temporarily
disabling your antivirus software while creating the PDF. Or maybe
you can configure the AV software to ignore the image files you're
using.

Other tests you can do to get more insight:
- Using a test copy of the document, convert the linked images to
embedded (Edit|Links then break all the links). Does that help?
- Does printing the file take just as long? Or is it just saving as PDF?
- Does the Performance tab in Task Manager show that you're short on
memory? Maybe there's something else running on your computer that's
slowing things down. If so, go to the Processes tab and sort by Mem
Usage to find the culprit. Throwing a couple of sticks of RAM into
your box (at $20-$40 per GB) may be all that you need.

Er. Never mind.You NEED an new computer. You simply MUST have 6 GB of
memory to do heavy-duty graphics crunching, which will require a
64-bit operating system and all-new software. Yessiree. :-)

--
Paul Goble
Omaha, Nebraska

http://www.doctohelp.com