RE: Is my Acrobat up to speed?

Subject: RE: Is my Acrobat up to speed?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "David Harrison (PMS)" <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:36:12 -0800

David Harrison wrote:

> I'm running Win XP (SP3) on a 3.4Ghz machine with 1 Mb RAM. Applications
> are MS Word 2003 and Acrobat 8. All 32-bit of course
>
> My document is 123 pages and it has 264 linked .png images all with an
> average size of 70-80 Kb.
> Acrobat is set Basic standard with no bookmarks or links, no Word cross-ref
> features and no heading bookmarks.
>
> And this takes 7min 32 sec from clicking [Start] to seeing new opened pdf
> file.

Just to be sure you get the message ;-), I'll add another vote for more RAM. 1GB (1024MB) of RAM is simply not adequate for anything newer than Windows 98. Not unless all you do is email and web-surfing (and maybe not even then, considering how much memory tabbed browsing can chew up).

Go to crucial.com/systemscanner, and download and run the scanner tool. After you do, a new browser page shows you your current memory configuration, how many empty slots you have, what upgrade options are available, and a list of compatible upgrades with prices. Crucial isn't the cheapest in town, but they're reliable and trouble-free.

Odds are your system uses DDR2 memory, and you probably don't need the fastest. If you have dual memory channels, it's much better to install a pair of matched memory sticks instead of a single module of the same capacity.

DDR2 is about $25 per Gig from Crucial, and under $20 from TigerDirect.com. So if you have two slots open, you could add two 1024MB modules, giving you 3GB total, for $35-50. Best investment you'll make all year.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom