Re: FrameMaker X can ONLY be activated over the internet

Subject: Re: FrameMaker X can ONLY be activated over the internet
From: Chantel Brathwaite <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:02:31 -0400

Clarification - by government reps - I meant Adobe government reps. You can usually find their names and numbers on their website. They can sometimes assist in issues like these if the contract for the software was handled through them ...

On 3/24/2011 12:00 PM, Chantel Brathwaite wrote:

Kath,

I'm not in that boat now, but have worked on projects that were like that for many many years. Adobe has always been able to activate over the phone. I cannot see why they would change that policy as it would cost them a ton of money - so that leads me to wonder if the rep provided the right information to IT. So, if I were in that situation, I would probably call again - you'll probably get a different rep and maybe get a different answer ... When IT purchased the software, I'm wondering if they did so through a government rep? (I know that there are US government reps ...) Maybe they can get involved and resolve the issue since they probably would have run into this before with other government customers ...

Also, have you considered posting to the framers list? Someone there might be able to confirm/deny this policy or give you some pointers about what to do now.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this ... if I end up working in this type of environment in the future it will be good to know whether I can recommend that we use Adobe products.

Chantel

On 3/24/2011 2:31 AM, Kath Bowman wrote:
Our company has just purchased several copies of FrameMaker X only to discover that it can *only* be activated over the internet.

Workstations on our classified networks cannot connect to the internet. This is mandated by the Dept of Defence.

Our System Administrator called Adobe support and was told that there was no way around this and we won't be able to use their product.
It is hard to believe that they don't have an override key for activation, because Defence are major users of FrameMaker.

How many of you will be in the same boat? Our company uses Adobe Acrobat Professional, RoboHelp and InDesign as well as FrameMaker, and I wonder if the future upgrade path will be blocked in the same way.

Kath Bowman
Technical Writer
Saab Systems

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/brathwaitec%40castupgrade.com

Chantel Brathwaite
Technical Writer
Cole Engineering Services Inc.
Web: http://www.coleengineering.com
Email: Chantel -dot- Brathwaite -at- coleengineering -dot- com
Phone: 407-207-1773 ext. 4138

http://www.doctohelp.com