RE: FM 10 under Win 7 Ultimate

Subject: RE: FM 10 under Win 7 Ultimate
From: "Daniel Feiglin" <daniel_f -at- radwin -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <techshoret -at- yahoogroups -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:01:56 +0200

Here is a little more grist for the mill:

My FM book uses Arial fonts for headings and Tahoma elsewhere. Tahoma
may not be the prettiest font in the world, but when I started this
project early in 2008, I needed a font with Cyrillic glyphs. The company
wanted me to use Frutiger in line with the Marketing dept., but Frutiger
does not support Cyrillic.

A few minutes ago, I changed the body text font in one of the book
chapters from Tahoma to Calibri (MS default for Office 2007 and later).
Lo and behold - "Save As PDF ..." worked - no square boxes. BTW, I have
all fonts loaded into the PDF (default for high quality).

Now we take a peek into the MS Win \Windows\Fonts directory:

Win XP: Tahoma*.ttf V3.15 OpenType, TrueType Outlines OK

Win 7: Tahoma*.ttf V5.06 OpenType, TrueType Outlines not OK

(As a matter of interest:

Win XP: Calibri*.ttf V1.02 OK

Win 7: Calibri*.ttf V5.62 OK)

Just for the fun of it, I installed the XP Tahoma fonts on 7 in place of
the 7 font. I got squares again.

What's the difference between XP and 7 Tahoma vis a vis Distiller?

We're getting closer ...

Daniel Feiglin| Technical Writer| RADWIN | t. +972 (3) 769 2827 | f.
+972 (3) 766 2902 | m. +972 (52) 3869986 | www.radwin.com

http://www.doctohelp.com