Re: Color blindness

Subject: Re: Color blindness
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:09:45 -0700

The short answer is yes. Any use of color coding is inevitably going
to be an issue for somebody.

The question for UI designers is one of statistical prediction and
risk assessment, i.e., how many users in 100, 1000 or 10,000 will be
affected, and what is the worst thing that could happen if an affected
user makes an incorrect selection or is unable to make one at all
(there is no color coding in the UIs of voting systems or nuclear
power station controls, for example).

If you need a solution that is absolutely going to affect no users,
then abandon color coding only and either replace or supplement with
text labels or graphic icons with a text bubble option.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com