Summing up Dreamweaver equivalents

Subject: Summing up Dreamweaver equivalents
From: "David Harrison (PMS)" <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:08:58 +0200

I'd like to thank all for their input on this question of Dreamweaver substitute. I have been given some good ideas to try as and when I have time in my busy schedule.
I did have a quick look at Kompozer but I'm not sure that it quite fits my needs. Coffee Cup looks good though. Aptana will have to wait till next week maybe.

One or two extolled the virtues of hand coding and one asked that even if DW is a nice tool, do I need it?
Well I'll say a big yes - but not for its WYSIWYG features or web-page composition. (I do most of my styling and layout with TopStyle anyway.) Also, in this case CSS is out of the question since the widget my company uses for online help cannot handle style sheets or anything beyond HTML2.0 (please don't faint in the back seats).

Yes, I like the way DW lets me play with the coding - I rarely use the bottom view screen except to monitor what I do above. As a guy who was taught to do his first HTML with Notebook old habits die hard.
What I do find invaluable about DW is its site handling facility, the way I can do broad or selective find/replace is invaluable when it comes to putting new translated text into my pages. Its Check-links function is also a boon. Also the way DW will automatically adjust links if you move any files from one place to another - so handy. So overall I use an old DW-MX2004 and find it can do all I want.

But now policies are changing at work like some people have noticed and we cannot use home copied or home bought software. All machines are being vetted and we are to get "standard Office" applications. I'm the sole Tech Writer here and it's obvious they do not understand my needs. But I do know they have no desire to spend any more than they can get away with - so I thank you for your broad response and suggestions - and look forward to learning another tool - (now pass me that hammer and bucket of nails brother, we have a hole to patch - lol.)

Regards

David

David Harrison |
Mold-Masters (UK) Limited | Global Hot Runner and Temperature Control Technology
Netherwood Road | Rotherwas Ind. Est. | Company Registration Nr: 1912861
Hereford | HR2 6JU | United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 1432 265 768 | Fax: +44 (0) 1432 263 782
dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com<mailto:dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com> | www.moldmasters.com<http://www.moldmasters.com>
[http://www.mold-masters.de/images/fpo_logo.gif]<http://www.moldmasters.com/>
Sent on 08.04.2011 10:09 by David Harrison

http://www.doctohelp.com