Re: graphics designer needed for logo help

Subject: Re: graphics designer needed for logo help
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:55:00 -0400

Not sure what you mean by upper management.

My point is that real design firms shun and decry these types of
contests because they fly in the face of the brand development process
and overall cheapen the value of the "winning" brand identity.
Designing a logo is about 10% of the brand identity development
process - kind of like how typing words is about 10% of what a
technical writer actually does in order to create documentation.

I understand working with students is about enrichment and such, but
contests teach the wrong lessons. They are simply the wrong approach
to brand identity development. It has nothing to do with "oooh pretty"
and everything to do with capturing a company's vision, mission,
culture and message into one identifiable (familiar, even) iconic
moniker (and all the strategy for properly employing it within the
target markets).

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood